Boone City Council - At Large|
Chair: Boone Utilities
Chair: Public Safety and Transportation
Address: 111 Story Street
Phone: 432-5842 or cell 230-3484
Term in Office: January 1, 2004 – present
- 1988-1995 - 7 years with the Boone County Sheriff’s Office as a Public Safety/9-1-1 Dispatcher;
- 1995-2007 - Communications Specialist II with the Iowa Department of Public Safety/Iowa State Patrol Communications;
- 2007- 2017 - Public Service Executive with the Iowa Department of Public Safety served as Regional Manager overseeing the emergency communications operations of department, including the Iowa State Patrol Communications Centers in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Cedar Falls. Steven Left his employment with the state of Iowa in August 2017 when he announced he was running for governor of Iowa.
Education: BA Political Science, Iowa State University, 1992; graduate of the certified public manager program, Drake University, 2012
Family: Wife, Lisa, two adult daughters.
Hobbies: Politics and work are my hobbies.
Boone Residency: Been in Boone since 1979
Other Community Services/Organizations Involvement:
- Chair of both the city of Boone Utilities and Public Safety and Transportation Committees.
- Serves on the county 9-1-1 Service Board
- Serves on the Emergency Management Commission representing the city of Boone.
“I strongly believe the role of local government is to provide stream-lined, yet effective, community services for our taxpayers. The ultimate goal of achieving those service objectives is with the prudent and efficient use of tax dollars. This should always serve as top priority.
“The best practice for any elected official is to be cognizant of spending tax dollars as if it were their own money and personal budget. Anything short of that thinking can truly be a disservice toward hard-working taxpayers.”